MORRIS, Ill. — Tragedy struck the heart of Morris overnight when the VFW was engulfed in flames sometime around midnight. At the time, the building was alive with patrons, as the bar was still in operation. While the exact number remains unconfirmed, an estimated 3-4 individuals were believed to be inside.
Upon arrival, firefighters from Morris, Minooka, Coal City, and Channahon were met with an intense fire centered in the kitchen area. Flames were already leaping from the roof. After battling the blaze for approximately 30 minutes, crews were able to bring it under control.
While no injuries have been reported, the iconic establishment suffered significant damage, estimated at over $200,000. The Morris Police Department was on site, assisting with traffic redirection during the incident.
Preliminary investigations, aided by kitchen surveillance footage, have pointed to an electrical malfunction as the cause of this devastating fire.