Peotone, IL – An early Sunday morning blaze in Will County claimed the life of a family’s dog.
According to Manhattan Fire Protection District Deputy Chief David Piper, the incident occurred on February 4, 2024, at approximately 11:37 AM, on the 300 block of West Street. Upon arrival, fire crews encountered heavy smoke and flames emanating from the kitchen of the small one-story house. Despite the quick response and aggressive firefighting efforts, the family dog could not be saved.
“With great sympathy, we ultimately could not save the family’s beloved companion,” said Deputy Chief Piper. He used this moment to stress the importance of having functional smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in homes and the need for a practiced escape plan.
The fire, which required more than thirty firefighters from surrounding districts, is currently under investigation by MABAS 19 Investigators.