Dump Truck, Semi-Truck Collide, Causes Fiery Crash on I-57 in Illinois

Date:

Share post:

CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, Ill. – A dump truck and a semi-truck collided on Interstate 57 near mile post 222 on Tuesday evening, causing one of the vehicles to catch fire. 

The crash happened just before 5:30 p.m. near the Illinois Prairie Rest Stop, a few miles north of Pesotum.

According to Illinois State Police, the dump truck entered the left lane from the inside shoulder after working on the median cables and was struck by the semi-truck, causing it to catch fire. 

The driver of the dump truck, Manuel A. Chavarria, 29 of Waukegan, and his passenger, Zamudio Escamilla, 51 of Elgin, were transported to the hospital with injuries. The driver of the semi-truck, Robert Silance, 53 of Brookwood, Ala., was also taken to the hospital with injuries. 

The crash caused I-57 northbound to be detoured at Pesotum for approximately 1.5 hours, while southbound I-57 was closed for approximately six hours for cleanup.

The cause of the crash is still under investigation. 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related articles

NWS: New York Tornado: EF-1 Touched Down in Chenango County July 15th

Chenango County, NY - An EF-1 tornado was confirmed by National Weather Service (NWS) meteorologists in Lincklaen and...

Severe Storm Warning Issued for Northwest Minnesota: Prepare for Large Hail and Tornadoes

Thief River Falls, MN – Thunderstorms are developing in northwest Minnesota, with the potential for severe weather this...

Major Accident in Addison: Dump Truck Rollover Leads to Road Closure

Addison, IL - A major accident involving a dump truck and another vehicle occurred at the intersection of...

Wyoming Flash Flood Warning Issued for Torrington Area Until 7:30 PM MDT

Cheyenne, WY - The US National Weather Service in Cheyenne has issued a flash flood warning for Torrington...