Dump Truck, Semi-Truck Collide, Causes Fiery Crash on I-57 in Illinois

Date:

Share post:

CHAMPAIGN COUNTY, Ill. – A dump truck and a semi-truck collided on Interstate 57 near mile post 222 on Tuesday evening, causing one of the vehicles to catch fire. 

The crash happened just before 5:30 p.m. near the Illinois Prairie Rest Stop, a few miles north of Pesotum.

According to Illinois State Police, the dump truck entered the left lane from the inside shoulder after working on the median cables and was struck by the semi-truck, causing it to catch fire. 

The driver of the dump truck, Manuel A. Chavarria, 29 of Waukegan, and his passenger, Zamudio Escamilla, 51 of Elgin, were transported to the hospital with injuries. The driver of the semi-truck, Robert Silance, 53 of Brookwood, Ala., was also taken to the hospital with injuries. 

The crash caused I-57 northbound to be detoured at Pesotum for approximately 1.5 hours, while southbound I-57 was closed for approximately six hours for cleanup.

The cause of the crash is still under investigation. 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related articles

Bourbonnais, IL – Enroll Now: BTPD Summer Camp 2024 Awaits Your Kids

Bourbonnais, IL – Make this summer one to remember for your child with the BTPD Summer Camp! Starting...

Lake County Man Shatters Patrol Car Windshield in Michigan City Stop

Michigan City, IN - An escalated confrontation ensued following a traffic stop on Sunday evening, leading to a Lake...

Kankakee, IL – Let Your Pup’s Spirit Run Free at Willowhaven Dog Park

Kankakee, IL – Exciting news for all dog lovers in Kankakee County! The Willowhaven Dog Park is the...

Winnebago, IL – Scam Alert Issued for Police Impersonation Scheme

Winnebago, IL - Residents of Winnebago are being warned of a new scam involving callers impersonating police officers...