The National Weather Service issued an excessive heat warning, effective today, July 18th, 2019 through 7:00 PM on Saturday, July 20th, 2019. The hottest conditions will be on Friday and Saturday with high temperatures of 95 to 100 degrees. During extremely hot and humid weather, your body’s ability to cool itself is challenged. When the body heats too rapidly to cool itself properly, or when too much fluid or salt is lost through dehydration or perspiring, body temperature rises and you, or someone you care, about may experience a heat-related illness.
Conditions that can induce heat-related illnesses include stagnant atmospheric conditions and poor air quality. Consequently, people living in urban areas may be at greater risk from the effects of a prolonged heat wave than those living in rural areas. Also, asphalt and concrete store heat longer and gradually release heat at night, which can produce higher nighttime temperatures known as the “urban heat island effect.”
The cumulative effects of temperatures and heat index values this high could lead to heat related illnesses with prolonged exposure. Those without air conditioning, elderly, small children, and pets are especially susceptible. Plan ahead – have a cool place to shelter from the heat. Avoid outdoor activity, especially strenuous ones, during the peak heating times of the day. Be sure to check in on your elderly neighbors this weekend!
Cooling Stations in Kankakee County:
• Bird Park Administrative Office – 893 W. Station Street, Kankakee (Business hours only).
• Kankakee Public Library – 201 E. Merchant St., Kankakee (Business hours only)
• Kankakee County Building – 189 E. Court St., Kankakee (Business hours only)
• Kankakee County Health Dept. – 2390 W Station St., Kankakee (Business hours only)
• River Valley Metro – Once heat index reaches 100 degrees rides are free
• Bourbonnais Public Library – 250 W. John Casey Rd., Bourbonnais (Business hours only)
• Northfield Square Mall – 1600 N State Rt 50, Bourbonnais (Business hours only)
• Bradley Public Library – 296 N. Fulton Ave, Bradley (Business hours only)
• Bradley Village Building – 147 S. Michigan Ave., Bradley (Business hours only)
• Leo Hassett Community Center – 211 N. Maine St. Manteno (10am-10pm)
• Momence Police Department – 123 W. River St., Momence
• Edward Chipman Public Library – 126 N. Locust St., Momence (Business hours only)
• Pembroke Township Senior Center – 4019 S Wheeler Rd, Pembroke