Multi-Vehicle Crash on I-65 Leaves Child Fighting for Life

Date:

Share post:

Jasper County, IN – A multi-vehicle crash on I-65 early this morning has left a child fighting for their life. The crash occurred in the southbound lanes near the 221 mile-marker at approximately 1:30 a.m. 

According to Trooper Brian Runyon, the initial crash involved a semi-tanker loaded with liquid sugar that had driven off the roadway and rolled into the median. While the driver of the semi refused medical treatment at the scene, the left lane of the interstate was closed for several hours, causing traffic backups along I-65 in the southbound lanes.

Photo: Indiana State Police

Tragically, at around 5:45 a.m., a white, 2022 Ford F750 box truck rear-ended a gray, 2020 Subaru, which was stopped in the right lane behind a white, 2019 Toyota Tundra. The Tundra was also stopped in the right lane behind a 2018 Peterbilt tractor-trailer.

The impact was devastating, causing catastrophic damage to the Subaru and the Toyota. The driver of the Subaru required extrication from the vehicle and was transported to I.U. Health in Lafayette with serious injuries. The parents of a four-year-old boy, who was secured in a car seat in the Toyota, were also transported to Franciscan Health for treatment. However, the child suffered life-threatening injuries and had to be rushed to Comer Children’s Hospital in Chicago for further treatment.

The driver of the box truck, a 22-year-old man from Shorewood, IL, was fortunate to escape unscathed. However, the crash remains under investigation, and the findings will be turned over to the Jasper County Prosecutor’s Office for consideration of charges.

Assisting at the scene were Keener Twp. EMS, Jasper County EMS, Wheatfield EMS, Rensselaer Fire, Jasper County Sheriff’s Department, Indiana State Police Crash Reconstruction, Indiana State Police Commercial Motor Vehicle Division, INDOT, Cheever’s Towing, and D1 Towing. The incident resulted in significant delays for motorists traveling through the area, with all lanes of southbound I-65 being diverted at exit 230 until approximately 11:00 a.m.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related articles

Cedar Lake, IN – Six Injured, Three Hospitalized in Evening Traffic Crash

Cedar Lake, IN - Cedar Lake became the scene of a traffic collision at the busy intersection of...

Wisconsin Tragedy: Driver Killed in Crash Following Cow Escape in Kenosha County

Kenosha County, WI - A Wisconsin driver, identified as 25-year-old Michael Alayan Forero, tragically lost his life early...

Will County, IL – Wilmington Grandmother, Granddaughter Killed in Kankakee County Crash

Wilmington, IL - A devastating accident in Kankakee County claimed the lives of a grandmother and her granddaughter...

Indiana Expressway Shooting: I-65 Shut Down for Three Hours as Truck Driver Shot, Halting Traffic

Rensselaer, IN - An interstate shooting on I-65 in Indiana resulted in a truck driver sustaining life-threatening injuries...