BOURBONNAIS – Business across the area are already seeing BIG grants from Round 1 of applications. The business grants were part of the Businesses Interruption Grant (BIG) program that has assisted over 2,600 small businesses across the state of Illinois hit by COVID-19 closures and property damage from looting in May and June.
In Will County, small businesses received over 1.1 million in BIG grants of the available $46 million dollars in emergency grants, state officials announced last week. The grants were sent out to over 70 businesses ranging from spas and nail salons to diners and fitness centers.
Some membership service organizations, like fitness clubs, received funding in the first round of BIG grants. Some organizations, like Anytime Fitness LLC, instructed its franchise holders to suspend billing during the COVID-19 shutdown.
“Given the scope and duration of the COVID-19 pandemic, Anytime Fitness, LLC has recommended that the owners of all Anytime Fitness clubs in the United States and Canada that have temporarily closed as a result of the crisis freeze member accounts and cease billing members. “ Anytime Fitness LLC said in a statement back in April.
Such suspensions in memberships across all fitness centers receiving BIG grants has yet to be verified. In Will County, fitness clubs received a combined $200,000 in the first round of BIG grants from the State of Illinois.
Notable business in Will County receiving BIG Grants included:
- Knights of Columbus 4400| $20,000 | Joliet
- Dairy Queen | $10,000 | Joliet
- Mauries Table| $20,000 | Joliet
- Popus Gourmet Popcorn | $20,000 | Joliet
- Subway | $20,000 | Joliet
- Subway | $20,000 | Joliet
- Ice Park Inc | $20,000 | Joliet
- Anytime Fitness | $20,000 | Lockport
- Harry E. Anderson VFW Post 954 | $20,000 | New Lenox
Kankakee County businesses secured over $200,000, with only one business from Iroquois County received a BIG grant in the first round. First round grants range from $10-$20 thousand dollars each with funds met for expenses including payroll, rent and utilities.
In Round 1 of grants, Kankakee County BIG grants included:
- Pattycakes Cupcakery | $20,000 | Bourbonnais
- Spa Remedy| $10,000 | Bourbonnais
- Just Relax Body Massage| $10,000 | Bourbonnais
- Rumors Salon and Day Spa| $10,000 | Bradley
- Tom’s Nails Inc| $10,000 | Bradley
- Subway | $20,000 | Kankakee
- Paul’s Place| $20,000 | Kankakee
- Golden’s Gymnastics Center| $20,000 | Kankakee
- Oliver’s Bar & Grill | $20,000 | Kankakee
- Premium pull-up | $10,000 | Kankakee
- Chalk It Up Billiards-Arcade | $20,000 | Manteno
- Fitness Premier | $20,000 | Manteno
- Steam Hollow Brewing Company| $20,000 | Manteno
- The Beauty Company | $10,000 | Manteno
Only one Iroquois County business received a grant in Round 1:
- Watseka Family Table Restaurant | $20,000 | Watseka
A full list of all businesses receiving grants can be found here.