CISSNA PARK – A single-room schoolhouse in Iroquois County was just one of only 12 locations throughout Illinois added to the National Register of Historic Places last year.
The Glenwood School, located at 1398 East 800 North Road in Cissna Park, becomes the first location added to the list in Iroquois County since 2005, joining six other locations locally.
Built-in 1887, the Glenwood School was added May 29th and for possessing the qualities ‘typical’ of a one-room schoolhouse, including a rectangular floor plan with teacher’s platform and chalkboards all still preserved within.
Other Iroquois County locations listed on the National Register of Historic Places include the Old Iroquois County Courthouse, Prairie Dell Meetinghouse, A. Herr and E.E. Smith Public Library, St. Mary’s Church, and the Watseka Union Depot. The National Register of Historic Places includes more than 700 significant properties across Illinois.
Other sites added in 2020 included Wrigley Field in Chicago, Gage Park Bungalow Historic District, Chicago Golf Club in Wheaton, Colby-Petersen Farm in McHenry, and Champaign Downtown Commercial District.