Simon Properties are planning to reopen on May 31st.
Among them, include Orland Square Mall in Orland Park, Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Chicago Premium Outlets in Aurora, Gurnee Mills in Gurnee and White Oaks Mall in Springfield.
Currently, many retailers are only permitted to do online orders and curbside pickup. The plan coincides with Illinois’ “Restore Illinois” plan introduced earlier this week, once a region moves into Phase 3. There is no guarantee the malls home locations will be allowed to move into Phase 3 on May 31st.
Simon has already released plans to close a variety of entrances at properties, redirect both traffic and walking traffic, and encourage social distancing as part of their ‘Welcome Back’ campaign.
Simon Property Group has reopened 59 shopping centers in 13 states.
“Anyone exposed to COVID-19 will be expected to remain at home in quarantine until they are symptom free for at least 72 hours and satisfy other CDC requirements,” company officials said in a statement.
Simon has already rereleased a COVID-19 Exposure Mitigation Protocols describing action the company will direct to its retail partners. It includes:
- Social Distancing and reconfiguration of eating areas
- Personal Hygiene efforts encouraging employees to take frequent breaks for hand washing
- Each night, detailed cleaning will take place. Touch points that need frequent disinfecting, including registered, touch screens, phones, radios, light switches, counters, drawer handles, doorknobs and more.
- Limited occupancy to one person for every 50 square feet
- Food court options will be limited. No reusable customer service items like trays and cups
- All play areas and drinking fountains will be closed
- Increased signage throughout the property
- Proper PPE usage and expanded training for employees on additional safety protocols
- Encourage customers wear masks when visiting Simon Properties. The mall will provide them free of charge.
The detailed plan was prepared and approved by multiple health industry experts and epidemiologists from across the country.