Indiana’s Electric Bike Nightmare: When Fire Refuses to Die 


Share post:

Chesterton, Indiana – An electric bike fire in the Estates of Sand Creek refused to be tamed, requiring a battle against flames using nothing but a garden hose and time.

According to authorities it began the evening of Saturday, Sept. 2, the Chesterton Fire Department (CFD) sprang into action when a homeowner’s desperate call came in. At 7:17 p.m., the homeowner reported an ominous development: while their electric bike was charging, an odd smell and smoke filled the air. Reacting swiftly, they moved the bike to the driveway, but the situation took a dramatic turn as flames erupted.

Even after deploying three fire extinguishers, the relentless fire reignited repeatedly, posing a grave challenge for firefighters.

Facing an unconventional situation, firefighters resorted to using a garden hose from the homeowner’s premises to combat the flames, cutting the battery pack free from the electric bike and immerse it in a five-gallon bucket of water.

“The homeowner was advised by fire personnel that E-bikes, like electric vehicles, tend to reignite for many hours after a fire,” cautioned the CFD. “The homeowner was advised to keep the contents in the bucket filled with water overnight to prevent reignition.”

It was not until 7:46 p.m. that the CFD could finally clear the scene, having battled not only flames but the unpredictable nature of electric bike fires.

This incident serves as a stark reminder of the unique challenges posed by electric bikes and their batteries, which can prove to be stubborn adversaries in emergencies. Authorities urge electric bike owners to exercise caution, follow safety guidelines diligently, and remain vigilant to prevent similar episodes from igniting in their lives. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related articles

Indiana Woman’s Narrow Escape: Tree Stump Crash Shakes Two Toddlers

Elkhart County, Indiana - A 1-year-old and a 2-year-old were put in danger as their SUV driver, an Indiana...

New York Firefighters Spring into Action for Hot Halloween Display

GLEN FALLS, NY - Last weekend in Glens Falls, New York, the dedicated firefighters of IAFF Local 2230 swiftly...

Discover the Spooky Secrets of Bordertown: Momence’s Haunting Extravaganza

MOMENCE, Ill. - As autumn leaves descend, Main Street Momence proudly unveils "Bordertown Hauntings," a Halloween fête set to...

Urgent Alert: Can You Identify These Dollar General Burglars?

PITTSBURG, Ill. – An unsettling burglary occurred at a Dollar General store in Pittsburg early Tuesday morning.  According to reports...