Kankakee Police Chief Robin Passwater Retires After 33 Years of Service

Date:

Share post:

KANKAKEE, Ill. – Kankakee Police Chief Robin Passwater has announced his retirement after an impressive 33-year career in law enforcement. Effective June 16, 2023, Chief Passwater will be stepping down from his role, leaving behind a legacy of dedicated service to the community.

“I want to thank all of the officers I have served with over my career,” Chief Passwater said in a statement Thursday.  “It has been a privilege to work with such a fine group of public servants.” 

Under Chief Passwater’s leadership, the city witnessed an impressive expansion in its active officer count, with a substantial growth of nearly 20%. Notably, he spearheaded the successful recruitment and comprehensive training of 22 new officers, representing an impressive contribution of approximately one-third to the overall roster of active officers within the city over the past two years. Chief Passwater’s commitment to bolstering the police force has resulted in a strengthened and more capable team, poised to uphold the safety and security of the community effectively.

Passwater also oversaw new technologies deployed throughout the community, including the ever referenced ShotSpotter system. 

“I’m very proud of Chief Passwater and what he did for my administration, the citizens of Kankakee, and for the men and women of the Kankakee Police Department,” Mayor Chris Curtis said Thursday.  “I’m forever grateful and have a lifelong friend that I will miss seeing and talking to daily at work.”

Details on a search to find Kankakee’s next top cop are expected to be announced to the public during the upcoming City Council meeting on Monday, June 5, 2023.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related articles

Aurora, IL – Urgent Search for Missing Teenager in Aurora

Aurora, IL - The Aurora Police Department has issued an alert for a missing 15-year-old girl, Ashlyn Sanchez.  She...

Warm-Up on the Way: Northern Indiana Sees Rising Temperatures and Rain Chances After Freeze

Northern Indiana, IN - Residents across Northern Indiana are bracing for a notably active weather week as April...

Williamson County, IL – Standoff Underway After Firearm Discharge in Residential Neighborhood

Herrin, IL - A tense standoff is currently unfolding in Herrin, Illinois, where a 28-year-old man has barricaded...

Central Illinois Alert: Persistent 30+ MPH Winds, Thunderstorms Expected Through Monday

Lincoln, IL - Residents of Central Illinois are on alert as the National Weather Service projects relentless winds...