A federal disaster declaration has been declared by President Trump for Illinois as the COVID-19 pandemic case count climbed to 2,538 confirmed cases of COVID-19 resulting in 26 deaths.
As of Thursday, 16,631 COVID-19 tests had been issued across the State of Illinois. Resulting in roughly 15% of every test showing a positive case.
The declaration will provide much needed federal assistance and recovery efforts to areas across the state affected by COVID-19. Including providing emergency funding for increased housing an hospital capacity during the outbreak, along with increased telehealth options.
“My administration is also seeking another declaration for all 102 counties of Illinois, which would allow us to access FEMA’s individual assistance program.” Governor Pritzker said during his COVID-19 press conference on Thursday. “This would give us resources like more unemployment benefits for those not currently eligible for State unemployment insurance. Enhanced benefits for those seeking shelter, food and emergency supplies, new legal services, and financial assistance to our under-insured households.”
Hospitals across the United States have considered the order, including doctors at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. Hospital Administrators have said they would have to ask the Governor directly for help in clarifying such a shift in policy under current state law.
Illinois Public Health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike was asked during yesterday’s press conference if she was currently considering signing a do-not-resuscitate policy for infected patients infected with the virus, to which she said simply, “No.”
Cases in the City of Chicago have now passed over 1,000. There are now 77 cases of the virus in Will County, 17 in Kankakee and 1 case in Iroquois County announced yesterday evening. COVID-19 now stretches across 38 counties and counting.