BONITA SPRINGS – A near-tragic incident unfolded in Bonita Springs last Sunday when a 14-month-old toddler overdosed after mistakenly ingesting cocaine pills.
According to Lee County Sheriff’s reports the incident occurred when deputies, responding to a medical distress call, found the toddler unresponsive.
The child’s parents, 33-year-old Diego Tzoy Pu and 30-year-old Santa Lux Pu De Tzoy, claimed the child had consumed oxycodone pills. However, when Diego presented a baggie of pills from his pocket, they reportedly tested positive for cocaine. Reports indicate the pills were carelessly left within the child’s reach on a bedside table. The child discovered screaming, a blue pill clutched in her teeth, and Diego’s wallet – the source of the pills – lying open on the bed.
Sheriff Carmine Marceno expressed his concern, stating, “We have to protect those that cannot protect themselves. Thank God the child is going to be okay. We will continue to work with DCF to ensure this child is in a safe environment, free of drugs and neglect.”
The child is now stable after being rushed to a local hospital. The couple faces charges of child neglect and drug possession and are currently detained at the Lee County Jail.