Brook, IN – A residential garage fire was successfully extinguished using a garden hose, showcasing prompt action by local authorities.
The incident occurred on Monday morning just after 8 am at 150 South Home Street. The tenant of the home noticed smoke emanating from the attached garage while preparing to leave for work and immediately contacted emergency services. A Newton County Sheriff’s Deputy, also a Brook firefighter, was first on the scene. Using a garden hose, the deputy managed to control the fire until additional fire units arrived.
According to the Brook-Iroquois Township Fire Department, the fire was quickly brought under control, with overhaul operations completed within an hour. The cause of the fire is suspected to be a malfunctioning heating unit in the garage. Fortunately, the damage was confined to the garage area and its contents.
Eleven firefighters from the Brook Fire Department were assisted by the Kentland-Jefferson Township Fire Department, Newton County Sheriff’s Department, Newton County EMS, and Newton County Emergency Management. Remarkably, no injuries were reported in this incident, highlighting the effectiveness of the emergency response.