Streator, IL – A resident’s prompt response to smoke and fire in their bathroom led to a rapid containment of the blaze, largely averting further damage to the home. The incident occurred on the evening of Sunday, January 14, 2024, at a residence in the 1700 block of Franklin Avenue. The Streator Fire Department was alerted at 10:12 pm and arrived on the scene within minutes, at 10:15 pm.
According to the Streator Fire Department, initial crews observed light smoke emanating from the single-story house. The homeowner had managed to extinguish most of the fire by the time firefighters entered. The remaining flames were quickly subdued by the crew. A fire engine, arriving at 10:19 pm from an earlier call, assisted in ventilating the home and ensuring no fire had spread beyond the bathroom.
The response team, braving sub-zero temperatures, comprised five Streator firefighters, including Streator Chief 1, Rescue 4, Engine 3, and Medic 10. Thankfully, no injuries were reported in the incident. The fire units expedited their operations to prevent the freezing of their equipment in the frigid weather.
While the bathroom sustained minor smoke, water, and fire damage, the rest of the structure remained largely unaffected. The fire has been ruled accidental, and the Streator Fire Department has taken this opportunity to remind residents of the importance of safe disposal of smoking materials.