Illinois Man Charged with Attempted Murder Following Terrifying I-65 Chase in Indiana

Date:

Share post:

Lake County, IN – An Illinois man has been charged with Attempted Murder following a harrowing chase on I-65 Wednesday.

According to Indiana State Police, Thomas J. Sanhamel, a 45-year-old resident of West Chicago, is now facing multiple felony charges, including attempted murder, after a high-speed pursuit that took place July 12th. The charges were filed by the Lake County Prosecutor’s Office.

At the time a slow-speed vehicle prompted a pursuit on I-65 when the driver refused to stop, escalating the situation. The suspect swerved towards law enforcement, rammed a police car, and drove the wrong way until forced into a median. Multiple attempts to evade capture occurred, including ramming a police car, before the suspect was finally apprehended.

Following a swift response by troopers, Sanhamel was taken into custody and subsequently transported to Franciscan Health Hospital in Crown Point for treatment after a K9 deployment.  Three troopers were injured during the rampage. 

Sanhamel was charged with Attempted Murder, Attempted Battery by Means of a Deadly Weapon, Attempt to Commit Battery Against Public Safety Official, multiple counts of Battery to Public Safety Official and Resisting Law Enforcement With a Vehicle. 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related articles

Indiana Dunes State Park Investigation Underway After Man Found Dead in Shoreline Waters

Indiana Dunes State Park, IN - An investigation is ongoing at Indiana Dunes State Park after a man...

Chicago, IL – Spring Showers, Thunderstorms to Dampen Chicagoland Area

Chicago, IL - Chicagoans will experience a classic spring week, with a mix of sun and showers predicted...

Springfield, IL – Chance of 1-Inch Hail Possible in Central Illinois 

Springfield, IL - Tonight Residents of Central Illinois are advised to prepare for severe weather conditions tonight as...

Chicago Man Charged on Attempted Murder on Interstate 94, 290 Ramp Road Rage Incident

CHICAGO, IL – On Friday, the Illinois State Police (ISP) Division of Criminal Investigation Zone 1 East Violent...