Chicago, IL —A 100-year-old Church on the city’s south side succumbed to a fierce fire early Saturday morning.
The inferno’s intense heat at Advocate United Church of Christ caused the church’s iconic steeple to collapse, disastrously crashing into a nearby SUV and house on the 10200 block of S. Avenue L.
Despite the chaotic scene, swift actions from the Chicago Fire Department ensured that a perimeter was established around the smoldering remains near 103rd and Ewing, ensuring no reported injuries. Residents from adjacent homes were urgently evacuated, with the assistance of CTA warming buses offering refuge from the cold.
By 7:30 a.m., the tenacious flames still roared, prompting firefighters to tackle the blaze from three towering ladders and an additional ground hose, underscoring the severity and resilience of the fire.
The area remains cordoned off, with the scene active and continually monitored for safety.